1. Phoenicia was an ancient civilization centered in the north of Canaan, with its heartland along the coastal regions of modern day Lebanon, Syria and __ .
2. The Levant was an ancient region in the Eastern end of the Mediterranean. T / F
3. In the realm of language and literature, the Phoenicians are credited with development of the __ .
4. Phoenicians must be related to the Jewish peoples. T / F
5. Jabal is Arabic for a) monument b) mountain c) knife wound d) mascara.
6. Spain makes the biggest part of what we refer to as the __ Peninsula.
7. The Muslim Arabs invaded Christian European territory
by ship. T / F
8. S’il vous plait must mean a) thank you b) best regards
c) please d) if you must go . . .
9. Drama, including tragedy and comedy, is one of the arts that was not created by the Romans nor by the Greeks.
T / F
10. The Times review of Abby Singer’s Bistro featured two pieces of grilled, marinated __, which were served on a bed of arugula with tomatoes, olives and prosciutto.
11. The Times reviews notes that “My friend scrapped off the onions — not an onion person myself, I couldn't blame her.” That was a) illiterate in at least 2 ways b) a marvelous moment to share with the reader.
12. The two principal elements of a review, according to your teacher, are __ and __ .
13. Sparta vs Athens: the wars that took place about 400 BCE on the __ Peninsula.
14. To the Greeks, withholding intimate contact from their husbands - to stop the war - seems to be a a) ridiculous idea b) clever idea in a play by Aristophanes called Lysistrata.
15. Characterized by sinuous, asymmetrical lines based on plant forms, this style was used in architecture, interior design, graphic art and design, jewelry, and glass. It was international in scope and was called __ __ .
5. b mountain
8. c please
10. mozzarella / cheese
11. a illiterate
12. description, evaluation
14. a ridiculous
15. art nouveau